Denby has been producing pottery for over 200 years in the heart of the English countryside. Our care, attention to detail, expertise and high quality standards mean that ensuring process wastes are either reused or recycled saves them from being directed to landfill site to be buried in the ground. Where we can reuse we will do. In fact, a quarter of the clay in every item has previously been through the making process.
• Denby are the first UK tableware manufacturer to be able to claim 'zero to landfill' for all our process waste. This saves approximately 600 tonnes of CO2 emissions each year. That's the equivalent of all our 300+ Denby employees' car journeys in a year being 'carbon neutral'!
• Because our quality standards are so high, any clay with faults is recycled into new stoneware. We save 2500 tonnes of raw clay, the equivalent of 350 fully loaded double decker buses!
• We make all our moulds from plaster of Paris. These are recycled to make plasterboard and every year 300 tonnes of plaster of Paris moulds is enough to fully plaster 50 new homes!
• Every year we recycle over 100,000 litres of glaze during the glazing process. That's enough to glaze nearly 1 million pots!
• We purify and return to the water cycle 28 million litres of process water, that’s plenty to fill 11 Olympic sized swimming pools!
But it’s not all about the raw materials… we are continually installing energy saving lighting systems, optimising the gas usage in our kilns and working with community groups local to the factory to give that little bit back.
And we are not stopping there. Denby are committed to continuously finding new ways of making a positive contribution to the environment.